Just as Goldilocks meticulously searched through the Three Bear’s cottage to find a chair, a bed, and a bowl of porridge that was “just right,” it is up to you, as a homeowner, to find an HVAC system that is also just right. By properly sizing an HVAC system, it will more easily be able to meet the your heating and cooling needs without sacrificing energy efficiency.
The Benefits of Properly Sizing an HVAC System
Bigger HVAC Units
You know the saying bigger is better? Forget it. When it comes to your HVAC system, bigger is most certainly not better. An oversized system experiences what is known as short cycling periods, meaning it will run enough to cool your home, but not long enough to remove humidity. Additional issues include:
- Larger units often have a higher purchase price. And who wants to pay extra money for a system that won’t work right?
- The constant starting and stopping during short cycling causes unnecessary wear and tear, which can significantly shorten the life of your equipment.
- Finally, larger HVAC units may reach the thermostat temperature faster, but, because they do not pull moisture from the air, you will be left feeling uncomfortable. Yuck!
Smaller HVAC Units
Conversely, an undersized system will take longer to cool your home, which means decreased efficiency and increased operating costs. Additional issues include:
- Smaller HVAC units have to run almost constantly to try to satisfy the temperature setting. This means higher energy bills and unnecessary wear and tear, which can significantly shorten the life of your equipment.
- Smaller HVAC units struggle to provide a high level of comfort.
It turns out that size really does matter. Have a load calculation performed to evaluate your home’s physical and thermal characteristic to determine the right size HVAC system for your needs. Heating and cooling loads are the measure of energy needed to be added or removed from a space by the HVAC system.
When you are looking to replace your HVAC system, be sure to consult an expert, like Fresh Air Concepts.
Fresh Air Concepts – The Perfect Fit
Fresh Air Concepts promises to provide you with highly qualified, HVAC, Heating, Air Conditioning, and Air Purification professionals for the Maryland Area. Whether you are in need of service, regular air conditioning maintenance or your existing system needs replacing, Fresh Air Concepts is your complete HVAC Company.
Superior customer service is and always will be our #1 priority.
To learn more about Sizing an HVAC System, please contact Fresh Air Concepts by calling 1-800-708-4FAC! We are committed to providing you with a healthy home environment. Make sure to also follow Fresh Air Concepts on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ as well.