What is R-22?
R-22 is a hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC) refrigerant, containing chlorine. R-22 is the most widely used refrigerant in the world. It is efficient, non-toxic, and easy-to-use. The problem: R-22 depletes the ozone layer. So to protect and hopefully repair the ozone layer, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has announced a schedule to phaseout this harmful refrigerant.
What is the R-22 Phaseout?
The EPA recently announced its final plans for R-22 refrigerant, which it describes as an “aggressive linear reduction.” Beginning in 2010, manufacturers of heat pumps and air conditioning units were prohibited from producing new equipment using R-22. The production and import of R-22 coolant is also being phased out.
- In 2015, the EPA is limiting new and imported R-22 to just 22 million pounds, a 57% reduction from 2014.
- In 2016, the EPA is limiting new and imported R-22 to 18 million.
- In 2017, the EPA is limiting new and imported R-22 to 13 million.
- In 2018, the EPA is limiting new and imported R-22 to nine million.
- In 2019, the EPA is limiting new and imported R-22 to four million.
- By January 1, 2020, there will be no new or imported R-22
What Does the R-22 Phaseout Mean for You?
During your next HVAC maintenance visit, talk to your technician about how the R-22 phaseout will affect you both now and in the future. As the phaseout progresses and the supply of R-22 dwindles, R-22 pricing will skyrocket. Does it make sense to replace your existing HVAC equipment or do you have other options? Now is the time to start planning for the future.
Commercial HVAC Maintenance in Maryland
Fresh Air Concepts offers commercial HVAC inspections, maintenance, and installation services throughout central Maryland. We also offer several maintenance contracts geared towards extending the life of your HVAC system through meticulous inspections and annual maintenance.