The Carrier® Geothermal Advantage
Throughout Carrier’s historic 100-year legacy, the company has provided millions of homeowners with the finest comfort systems available. Using state-of the-art furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps, Fresh Air Concepts are experts when it comes to customized home comfort systems. But it doesn’t end there. Carrier also offers a complete line of exceptional geothermal comfort systems for your home.
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, geothermal systems are “the most energy efficient, environmentally clean, and cost effective space conditioning systems available today.” That’s because a geothermal system taps into the earth to capture free, renewable energy. The earth absorbs about 47% of the sun’s energy that reaches it, storing that energy in the ground. A geothermal system extracts that free energy for heating during winter. For cooling, the system removes heat from the home and dumps it into the cooler earth. This transfer of heat energy is done through a series of pipes buried in the ground, or sunk in a pond, or by using well water. Because a geothermal system simply moves heat instead of burning a fossil fuel to generate it, it’s more energy-efficient.
- Savings: Generally, no other heating and cooling system offers lower operating costs, with savings up to 60% compared to ordinary systems.
- Comfort: These systems provide even temperatures throughout the home year round, with excellent dehumidification during cooling.
- Environmentally Sound: Geothermal is a clean, green, and renewable technology to reduce your carbon footprint now and for future generations.
- Reliable: Geothermal units last longer than ordinary air conditioners and heat pumps. Since the units contain few moving parts, they operate for years with little maintenance.
- Quiet Operation: Unlike ordinary air conditioners and heat pumps, no outdoor unit is required. Carrier geothermal units use heavy-duty, fully-insulated cabinets for quiet operation. Quiet, soft starting variable speed blowers are used in many models.
- Flexibility: Heating, cooling and supplemental water heating from a single unit. and a wide variety of models and options to fit most any application.
- Free Hot Water: During unit operation, free excess heat is used to supplement the home’s water heater.
- Energy Independence: Geothermal systems reduce our need to import fuel.
- Safe and Clean: No flame, no flue, no odors.
The Geothermal Energy Efficiency Story
One of the main reasons many homeowners choose geothermal is the benefit of lower operating costs. In most homes, the cost for heating, cooling and hot water combine for about 70% of the total utility costs. Therefore, the biggest opportunity to save a substantial amount in utility costs is to improve those systems. That’s where geothermal can help in a big way. For every one unit of energy purchased to operate a geothermal unit, it delivers four to five units of energy because the energy from the earth is free. In many scenarios, a geothermal system is significantly less expensive to operate than ordinary heating and cooling systems. Geothermal systems can save up to 70% in heating costs, up to 50% in cooling costs, and around 30-50% in hot water costs.
One way to compare efficiency is to calculate the cost for 1 million BTUs of heat transfer. Using a standard formula, an “apples to apples” comparison can be made based on local fuel rates and equipment efficiency. The table at right demonstrates a typical savings opportunity with geothermal.